Monday, May 30, 2011

You OVERCAME

You overcame by the power of the cross that rest on Calvary
You overcame my chains that once bound me to things I held near
Your overcame my darkest night with just a ray of Your light
You overcame the lust of my flesh that led me back to more of the same

You overcame my despair where I once believed I had no hope or destiny
You overcame the lies in the night that left me empty and full of dread
You overcame the unbelief that kept my feet from walking by faith
You overcame the doubt that said I had nothing good left to believe in

You overcame the worry that held me for far too long, keeping me from living my today’s
You overcame my shame said that I would “never be wanted”
You overcame the fear that ate my soul with nothing left to give
You overcame the demons of darkness that serve the father of the spiritually dead
You overcame the devil himself with one act of Your Love

To the God who was, and is, and is to come…
You reign victorious!



John 16:33- "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have OVERCOME the world."

Romans 12:21-"Do not be OVERCOME by evil, but OVERCOME evil with good."
1 John 2:14- "I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning.  I have written to you, young men, because you are strong and the word of God abides in you, and you have OVERCOME the evil one."
Revelation 21:6-7- "And He said to me, 'It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end.  I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost.  He who OVERCOMES shall inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My Son.'"
1 John 4:4- "You are from God, little children, and have OVERCOME them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world."
1 John 5:4-"For whatever is born of God OVERCOMES the world; and this is the victory that has OVERCOME the world---our faith."
(Emphasis all mine)
The book of the Bible that holds the most references (from my research) to the word overcame, overcome, or overcometh (in KJV) is Revelations with 13 references within its 22 chapters.  However the piece about this that I found so interesting (and it highly likely this lesson was just for me, but just in case...I thought I would share!) is that of those 13 references, 7 of them come in the portions of scripture dealing with the 7 churches.  The reason I find this so intriguing, is in the importance this shows us that as true believers (being defined as the one who loves, abides, bears fruit, and endures till the end.  See John 13:35, John 15:7, John 15:8-10, and Matthew 10:22) we MUST endure in our faith in Jesus Christ, until the end.

This is how we overcome our flesh, the world, and Satan.  This is Satan's counterfeit product of the Trinity-our flesh, the world in which we live, and placing himself as the father. (James 3:15)  However, the Word clearly states the only thing he is a father of...is lies! (John 8:44)  Within Revelation, God is once again reminding us of how important it is to walk through the trials, distresses, and persecution that may come in order that we might OVERCOME and receive the inheritance He has for us in the New Jerusalem (see Rev. 21:6-7 above)

That is why it's not okay for people to believe that prayer, in and of itself, is what saves them; it is praying by faith and through the a power that is not our own, living it day by day by faith.  For further study to see just how passionate the LORD is on the subject take a look at the words He spoke to the 7 churches.  For a start, take the word overcame and see the ways in which He applies it.  I don't know about you, but it has brought new meaning to me as His child being able to overcome, because Jesus Christ already has for me!  As you study His word sweet sister, may you have eyes to see and ears  to hear. (Matthew 13:6) I love you my sister of the faith, never stop pursuing the purity of His Word.

  • Revelation 2:7-Ephesus
  • Revelation 2:11-Smyrna
  • Revelation 2:17-Pergamum
  • Revelation 2:26-Thyatira
  • Revelation 3:5-Sardis
  • Revelation 3:12-Philadelphia
  • Revelation 3:21-Laodicea

Listen to Jeremy Camp's "Overcome"



No comments:

Post a Comment